Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Honey and Apple Ribs


A few weeks ago, when I was at Costco, I eyed a 7 lb. pack of country-style pork ribs for about $1.50 a pound. While this is priced higher than what I'd normally buy them at, they sounded good, so I grabbed 'em. When I returned home with the package, I divied them up among three freezer bags. Tonight, we had the second of three, using a recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

Honey and Apple ribs

  • 2-2.5 lb pork country-style ribs
  • 1/2 c chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 c bottled chili sauce
  • 1/2 c apple juice Pomegranate-Blueberry juice
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
Place ribs in a 7x11 baking dish.


Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.


Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in chili sauce, juice, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. (You should have about 1-1/2 cups sauce.)


Transfer ribs to a plate, drain fat from baking dish, return ribs to baking dish.

Spoon half of the sauce over the ribs. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.


Drain additional fat, turn ribs and spoon remaining sauce over ribs. Bake an additional 35 minutes, covered.

Serve with a sweet potato and some steamed green beans and you have dinner.

Notes: the apple in the recipe title is supposed to be due to apple juice or cider. Since I didn't have any, I used what I had on hand. The sauce smelled a little different than usual, but the pork was just as yummy.

As for cost:
  • ribs: $1.50/lb = $3.75
  • onion: $0.50
  • chili sauce: $2.50/12 oz.
  • juice: $2.99/2L
It looks like we spent $10-12 to make these ribs. About six bucks a person and we gorged on good food.

0 comments: