Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Broiled Lemon Chicken


A whole chicken, cut up and broiled.

Sometimes when I have a whole chicken, I just want to cook the whole thing without roasting it whole. It can be hard to find a recipe that looks good that calls for a cut-up chicken. When I came across this one, I decided to try it even though I'm not a big fan of lemon-y food. And I was a little worried about so much white vinegar.

The original recipe (click the link below) says to grill the bird, but since I don't have a grill, I did it in the broiler. I didn't have a lemon either, so I used bottle lemon juice and skipped the peel. Click the link for the original recipe.

Grilled Lemon Chicken

1/3 c white distilled vinegar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp steak sauce
1 tsp salt
1 (5 lb.) chicken, cut up

Bring vinegar, butter, oil, lemon juice and steak sauce to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in salt.


Place chicken on lined broiler pan/rack. Brush with lemon mixture.
 

Turn; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, brushing and turning chicken every 10 minutes.


Pretty simple recipe! Since I lined the broiler pan, clean-up was simple too. Dinner was done in about 45 minutes.

The chicken tasted ok. It wasn't over-the-top with lemon or vinegar, but wasn't so great that I knew right away I'd make it again.

Cost:
  • chicken: $0.79/lb = $3.95
  • A1 Steak Sauce: $3.49/5 oz.
Total: $7.44. The recipe says this gives 6 servings, we got 4, so that makes it $1.86.

I'm not opposed to making this again. Maybe I'll like it better next time.


0 comments: