Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage-Lemon Butter



Butternut squash is a favorite of mine; it's too bad it doesn't show up on this blog more often. It's unreal I haven't had any since March. I'm really glad I made it today. At least there was one part of my Meat Loaf Bolognese meal that turned out great!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage-Lemon Butter
click to print

8 c cubed butternut squash (3/4 inch), (a 2.5 lb squash)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp dry sage
2 tsp grated lemon peel
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice

Heat oven to 450ºF. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

Toss squash, oil, salt and pepper in large bowl; arrange in single layer on baking sheet.


Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until tender and browned in spots, turning several times.

Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Cook sage, lemon peel and garlic 2 minutes or until fragrant, stirring constantly.


Stir in lemon juice; remove from heat. Add squash; toss to coat.



Because the meat loaf and squash required two different oven temperatures, I baked the squash and let it stand around while the meat loaf baked. Then I did sage-lemon-garlic part. While the squash tasted great, not too lemony, the squash cubes had that hour to dry out a little bit. Had I prepared the squash one step after another, I think it would've been fantastic!

Cost:
  • butternut squash: $3.03
  • butter: $0.07
  • lemon: $0.69
  • garlic: $0.12

Total: $3.91 or $0.65 for each of six tiny servings. Honestly, because the meat loaf didn't rock my world, I got two big servings out of the dish, making each serving $1.96.


0 comments: