Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Glazed Lemon Loaf with Rum


Warm Glazed Lemon Loaf with Rum

Everytime we go to Costco, Rodney sniffs all the lemon cakes and breads like a dog. Each and every time, I always tell him that I'll make him a lemon loaf. I always meant it, but since I'm not a fan of lemon cake or bread, put it on the backburner and subdued Rodney's palate with pork, chicken, beef, or shrimp. Or chocolate.

This time, though, I wasn't lying. I'd come across a couple beautiful lemon loaf photos on Tastespotting and chose a recipe from Thibeault's Table. I didn't change a thing, but click to see the original. The photos are awesome.

Glazed Lemon Loaf with Rum

4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c melted butter
1 1/2 c milk
Grated zest of a lemon
3 tbsp baking powder
1 3/4 c cup sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c rum
1 tbsp real vanilla

Lemon Glaze

4 tbsp icing sugar (powdered)
2 tbsp rum
2 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 large loaf pans or a combination of large and mini.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.


In separate bowl, blend butter, eggs, milk, rum, lemon zest and vanilla.

 

Add the liquid ingredients all at once into dry ingredients.


Blend just until moistened.


Turn into prepared pans and tap pan to smooth out mixture.


Bake 60 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool slightly in pan, and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, prepare glaze by mixing the ingredients until sugar is dissolved.


Poke top in several places with a toothpick and brush with lemon glaze while still warm.


Rodney was chomping at the bit to get a taste of this bread and I had to make stabbing motions at him with a fork in hand to keep him at bay while the loaves were cooling. Eventually, I was overpowered (aka bored) and Rodney thus had a couple warm slices.

And Rodney said, through bread-ladened maw, the slices were "gooood, real goood!"

I tried a warm slice and found that the lemon wasn't overpowering as I'd expected, which was good. But the loaf was a little more "eggy" than I prefer. Since the loaves are for Rodney and he likes them, that's all that matters.

Cost:

I'm not quite sure what to put down here since I don't usually watch the cost of flour and sugar. I'll do a SWAG of $7. My gut tells me that's about right. That makes each loaf $3.50. When I make this in the future, I'll be more conscious of keeping track of the cost.

And yes, I will be preparing this again. Rodney might put me in a chicken wing if I don't.

Click for the printable


0 comments: