Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Chunky White Bean-Tomato Soup



I've been sick this entire week and it's been sucking a lot. I picked this recipe because I had most of the stuff. And it's soup that sounded like it would go good with grilled cheese. I wanted cheese. Plus it looks like it requires just the amount of energy I can muster. Last but not least, it makes 7 cups of soup instead of 7 bucketsful.

Chunky White Bean-Tomato Soup
from Cooking Club of America

4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
3 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 (15-oz.) cans navy or Great Northern beans, drained, rinsed
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground cumin

Heat large pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add bacon; cook 5 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently.

Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove any excess pan drippings.


Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes, thyme and cumin.


Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 to 10 minutes to blend flavors.


With potato masher, mash beans about 15 times to slightly thicken soup.



While I couldn't really taste it because my tastebuds were numb, the soup was warm and filling. It really was nice that it took less than 45 minutes to make so I could get back into bed ASAP.  

Cost:

  • bacon: $0.64
  • onion: $0.20
  • beans: $1.78
  • tomatoes: $1.60
Total: $4.22. Let's throw in another $1 for broth, though that's high. That makes each of four servings $1.31 each.

Click for the printable


0 comments: