Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chicken Marbella



Yonetta's onto Pinterest and has this pinned on her Food board. Seeing that it calls for a variety of chicken pieces and a bunch of prunes caused me to put it at the front of my chicken queue.

I had to do a couple of changes out of necessity: one whole 5.26 lb chicken cut into eight pieces rather than two small chickens quartered (I can't find a 2.5 lb chicken to save my life!), minced garlic instead of pureed, and little pimiento-stuffed manzanilla olives instead of large Spanish. Out of laziness, I skipped chopping the parsley even thought I bought some for this. That's pretty lazy.

Chicken Marbella
adapted from Simply Recipes
click to print

5 1/4 lb chicken cut into 8 pieces, bone-in, skin-on
1/2 head of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tbsp dried oregano
coarse salt to taste
freshly coarse-ground pepper to taste
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c pitted prunes
16 pimiento-stuffed manzanilla green olives, cut in half
1/4 c capers with a bit of juice
3 bay leaves
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c white wine

In a large bowl combine garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers with caper juice, and bay leaves.


Add the chicken pieces and coat completely with the marinade.


Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, several hours or overnight.

My chicken marinated about 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly.

I wasn't sure if "shallow baking pan" meant a baking sheet or a 9x13 baking dish. I rolled with the dish.

Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

I measured out the 1/2 cup of brown sugar. While sprinkling it on with my fingers thought about half of it on the chicken looked like quite a lot and called that enough.

Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with the pan juices.

Basted at 35 minutes and removed from oven at 53 minutes.

Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest point, yield clear yellow juice (not pink). Or a probe poked in the thigh indicates a 165°F.

With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter.

Wow, that's a lot of pan juice remaining.

Add some of the pan juices. Serve remaining juice in a gravy boat.


This was good, but I didn't think it was crazy good like the folks commenting on Elise's post did. Maybe I wasn't as excited about having chicken when it was done as I was when I was putting the marinade together. Maybe I was having an off day and was just looking forward to eating dessert. Maybe it's because I should've used all of the sugar called for, or vinegar that wasn't best by sometime mid-2011, or big olives. Maybe it's because I was put off by the quantity of juice that remained in the baking dish after cooking.

I'm going to do this again, next time using all of the sugar, new vinegar, and a baking sheet.

Cost:
  • chicken: $4.16
  • garlic: $0.25
  • red wine vinegar: $0.33
  • olive oil: $0.47
  • prunes: $0.66
  • green olives: $0.58
  • capers: $1.57
  • brown sugar: $0.11
  • white wine: $1.50
Total: $8.97 or $1.50 for each of six servings.

0 comments: