Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fresh Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon



So excited about doing the upcoming salmon dish, I thought the best way to do it would be to go all out and get fresh salmon instead of the frozen stuff I used to get.


Sockeye was on sale and I asked the butcher/fishmonger (what are these guys considered?) at Ralph's to please skin it for me but leave it whole.


The fish looks really vibrant and didn't have much of a smell. One of the cats was certainly intrigued though and she wound herself between my ankles as I unwrapped the salmon from plastic, paper and more plastic.


It doesn't look like Edwin did such a hot job with removing the skin but am glad he stopped when he did. The fish looks a little mangled where skinless. I'll live with skin.


Aiming for even portions isn't simple with fish since tapers toward the tail end. The portions ranged from 5.3 to 4.7 oz sections (head to tail, respectively).


Fresh sockeye salmon, available in the seafood section of Ralph's for $8.99/lb on sale.

0 comments: