Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chicken in Mojo Pan Sauce



This dish was selected simply for the fact that it serves two: me now and me later. Well, that and it sounded good. Trust me it looks better in real life than it does in that crazy photo above. I didn't realize until I was doing my mise en place that I was out of cumin seeds. I used ground cumin instead.

Chicken in Mojo Pan Sauce
click to print

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c fresh orange juice
2 tsp lemon juice
2 thin orange slices
2 thin lemon slices
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided

Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and ground cumin.


Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 7 to 9 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink in center, turning once. Place on plate; cover loosely with foil.
 

Add garlic to skillet; cook and stir 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant.
  

Add orange juice, lemon juice, orange slices, lemon slices and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
 
 

Serve chicken with sauce; spoon lemon slices and orange slices over chicken, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.


Fresh citrus packs a serious wallop! I was almost overwhelmed with the fruitiness and my chapped lips were recoiling. I am, for the first time since the great cumin debacle, sorry I didn't have cumin seeds to press into the breast halves. The cumin would've provided a nice balance.

Unlike the last chicken breast dish, these weren't overcooked. Seven to eight minutes over medium heat is plenty of time to cook a breast without reducing it to cardboard. Cooking Club of America was right, this is a great weeknight dish as it is quick.

I prepared Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts to accompany the chicken, but it wasn't the greatest pairing. Savory citrus with buttery greens just wasn't right. I'd certainly make it a point to have more traditional Cuban sides of black beans and maduros instead. Oh shoot! And now I just remembered I was originally planning to make Cuban potatoes! Zoinks! Tomorrow night, I will do the potatoes to go with the leftover breast.

Cost:
  • chicken breast halves: $1
  • garlic: $0.40
  • orange: $0.35
  • lemon: $0.28
  • parsley: $0.10
Total: $2.13 or $1.07 for each of two servings.


0 comments: