Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife



Outside of the recipes, Bourdain talked about three primary things in his cookbook. I briefly discussed the points in the chicken stock post and glanced over knives.

I'd considered buying a high-end knife before but became more studious about cutlery since then, slowly and meticulously judging a wide variety of knives and determining whether I could justify such a purchase. After all, the 10-piece Made in Spain set of Henckels purchased from Costco* over four years ago for about $200 were still going strong; I had no complaints.


I learned a lot while using those Henckels: how to hold a knife to prevent fatigue, improved my knife-work skills, how to use a honing steel, determined which knives I used regularly and which still held their original edge from lack of use.

The Henckels chef and Santoku were overdue for sharpening by about three years. Oddly, I never felt comfortable with the thought of handing over my knives to some stranger for sharpening and just kept them safe in my home.


Finally, I decided to check out a store called Chef's Toys. I took my chef and Santoku knives with me on the off chance I'd have the strength to turn them over to Stranger Who Sharpens.


I became mesmerized with shiny blades and felt the weighty metal of various knives in my hands. But it was this simple handle that sealed the deal.


Besides, I couldn't go a full week without a chef's knife. It's my go-to knife.

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife available at Chef's Toys for $151.40 plus tax.

*Henckels higher end cutlery comparable to Wustoff, Shun, Global is available, just not at Costco. 


0 comments: