Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions


A juicy chicken thigh with caramelized onions!

I wasn't ultra keen on this because thighs, in my opinion, can be kind of a rip-off. I mean, they taste good, real good, and are almost impossible to goof up.  But they are hard for me to cut from the bone, so I'm prompted to buy them for the sake of ease and that goes completely against my "I want to cut up my own chicken to save money" grain.


  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lb.)
  • 1/4 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp sugar
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove chicken.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil until hot. Cook onions 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in all remaining ingredients.


Nestle chicken in onions; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

Uncover; simmer 2 minutes or until juices are slightly reduced.


Pros: This was the most tender chicken I've ever eaten. It was so tender and moist Rodney and I kept looking at each bite to make sure it wasn't raw. And pretty easy, I didn't break a sweat over it and it was done in about 45 minutes including prep.

Cons: I don't think it needs quite so many onions. Two small or one large onion would be suitable. And maybe when I was measuring the liquids, I went overboard with the broth. There was a lot of liquid left.

Another negative, which didn't have to do with the recipe, was that I made this to go with the Wild Rice Salad. The salad was so overpowering that we couldn't really taste the chicken. The salad needs to accompany something that can stand up to it, like salmon; in turn, the chicken needs to go with something much more mild.

Cost:
  • chicken thighs: $1.99/lb = $3.98
  • onions: $1
  • broth: $1
Total: about $6 which comes to the $2 per each serving we got out of it.

I will do this recipe again. I see a baked potato in our future.


0 comments: