Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Couscous with Pine Nuts


Couscous with Pine Nuts along with asparagus and chicken breast.

Yet another side-bar note of a recipe in Cooking Pleasures. No wonder I was in such a no-new-side rut for so long. A lot of good ones are so simple the magazine only dedicates two or three sentences to them.

I decided to try this one because I (being the Costco shopper I am) bought a giant bag of pine nuts shortly after I enjoyed them in some lasagna. Finally I'd be able to use some of them before they become rancid!  And I figured I'd make it to accompany the olive chicken recipe in case the sauce part of that recipe needed something to soak into.

Couscous with Pine Nuts

1.5 c water
1 c couscous
1/3 c pine nuts, toasted
1/3 c green onions, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Reminder: toast your pine nuts!


Boil water, stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.


Stir in pine nuts, onions, oil; and salt and pepper to taste.



Rodney liked this more than I did. I thought it tasted ok, but whenever I have couscous I'm paranoid I'm going to inhale some of the grains straight into my lungs. They are so light and fluffy and so very tiny. A definite plus to this side is that it is pretty quick, fairly simple, and nearly impossible to mess up.

I wish I could give a detailed breakdown on cost, but since I'd purchased the couscous some time ago and probably spent $10 on pine nuts, I'll probably be way off.


3 comments:

Jess said...

Maybe you have a teeny tiny freezer like we do, but you can always freeze your Costco nuts so there's absolutely no chance they'll go rancid :-)

The Cook said...

My freezer isn't teeny-tiny and yes, the nuts are stored in there. Pine nuts, it turns out, last a really long time when frozen. It's amazing, really.

Jess said...

It is :)