Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Blue Potatoes, Halved



I'd read in one of my Cooking Club/Pleasures magazines that blue potatoes would have blue flesh. Preparing dinner tonight, I halved the blue/black potatoes first and found out first-hand that the flesh truly is blue/purple. So red-skinned potatoes are white fleshed and white-skinned potatoes are white fleshed and even brown-skinned potatoes are white fleshed. Why in the heck are these so...so, different?

Apparently anthocyanin-loaded, they may contain more anti-oxidants than a typical potato. I don't know about you, but being the potato-lover that I am, I'll be sure to incorporate as much of this type in my potato diet as possible rather than opting for my personal favorite, the ultimate in starchy, Russet.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Those look ridiculously delicious!

The Cook said...

They roasted nicely with some chicken, let me tell you what.