Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Chicken


Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Chicken alongside Corn, Basil and Orzo Pasta

This recipe was in the latest edition of Cooking Club magazine. Since I had most everything to prepare it, I figured it'd be a cheap and quick main course. Rather than doing a standard side of potato, I prepared the chicken to accompany the Corn, Basil and Orzo Pasta.

Because I don't have a grill, I used my cast iron grill pan.  If you have a grill, click the link below.  

Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Chicken

1/2 c packed brown sugar, divided
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 c pure maple syrup
2 tbsp bourbon or apple juice
2 tsp spicy brown Dijon mustard

Heat grill.

Combine 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, thyme, salt, onion powder and cayenne pepper in small bowl.

Generously rub over both sides of chicken.

Whisk remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon and mustard in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring frequently.

Oil grill grates. Grill chicken, over medium heat 9 minutes before flipping.

Brush with sauce; grill 6-9 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning once and brushing with sauce.

Boil remaining sauce 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened; serve with chicken. As I'm not a fan of extra sauce and tend to forget it if I do prepare it, I didn't bother doing this.


I was a little worried that the amount of dry rub wouldn't be enough to accommodate all four breasts, but each one received an adequate amount.  The sauce wasn't so much in quantity that it was wasted; copious brushing as the chicken cooked resulted in just a few tablespoons left over.

The flavor of the chicken was pretty mild. The bourbon didn't stand out, nor did the maple syrup. The chicken was fairly sweet, but not like candy. It was a good accompaniment for the orzo salad. Had I used the remaining sauce, I think a more sponge-like side would be more suitable, such as smashed potatoes.  But I think potatoes are a good side for everything.

Is this worth a repeat?  Yeah, why not.  Though it didn't get raves like those in Rodney's Picks, it was good.

Cost:
  • chicken breasts: $3.50
  • bourbon: $0.52
  • everything else, SWAG: $1
Total: $5.02 or about $1.25 for each breast.  Not too shabby. 


Mmm, dinner tonight is so pretty! And each dinner serving cost less than 2 bucks!

0 comments: