Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Christy's Awesome Hot Ham and Cheese

Christy's Awesome Hot Ham and Cheese

I don't remember how I came across this recipe, but I did, and while I'd normally bypass a silly ham and cheese recipe, I didn't this time. For some reason, I thought I'd give this a go as it seemed really simple and simply tasty. Especially on some insanely good SunFlour Nine Grain bread. Did I tell you I love it? If not, I do. I'd marry it if I was the marryin' kind. Ok, so maybe not, but you get my drift. I really like this bread. Enough to prepare a ham sandwich from a recipe.


2 slices whole grain SunFlour Nine Grain bread
2 tsp butter, or whatever it takes to butter one side of two slices
2 1 slices Swiss cheese
2 thin slices deli ham
1 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp whole grain mustard

Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread one side of each slice of bread with about 1 teaspoon butter. Place one slice, butter-side down in the hot skillet.


Top with Swiss cheese and ham.


Spread the unbuttered side of the second slice of bread with mayonnaise and mustard; place it, butter-side up on top of the sandwich. Cook until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.

Voila, that's it! Hot ham and swiss. All by itself.


Unless you just happened to make some Oven-Baked Fries. Which I did. Because I'm a potato fanatic. But that's neither here nor there.


Oh, now this couple should marry. They go great together.

The sandwich was good! I shall make this again, regularly. Usually when I make ham and cheese, it's just mayo. The ground mustard was certainly a good thing (said in my best Martha voice).

Cost:

  • bread: $0.42
  • ham: $0.44 (SWAG assuming 40 slices to a pound)
  • swiss: $0.18 (SWAG assuming 20 slices to a pound)

Total: $1.04 to make a sandwich, neglecting mayo and mustard cost. Oh, and the butter. Let's just say it was $1.25. I'm cool with that.


0 comments: