Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cuban Roast Pork


Cuban Roast Pork, black beans and steamed white rice. I'd have had some maduros, but my plantain wasn't ripe enough.

As I couldn't find the the recipe from Aidells's book online, I will not be doling out the recipe as I didn't have forsight to ask for permission and thus don't have permission. Instead, this post will be essentially a pictorial of the deliciousness I produced in my kitchen based on the recipe from The Complete Meat Cookbook.

Here's what I did:

I squeezed juice from two large oranges, two fresh limes, and topped that off with some dark rum.


I dug the pork shoulder butt roast from the fridge, unwrapped it, and made sure it would fit in a gallon-sized Ziploc.


I measured out the dry ingredients and combined them with the juices and rum before transferring all of the marinade components into the pork bag.


The pork shoulder was allowed to marinate overnight in the bag which was flipped occasionally. The following day, the bag of pork was brought to near room temperature before the bag contents, marinade and all, were transferred to a broiler (roasting) pan. A temperature probe was placed in the pork before going into the oven.


Once the timer beeped at the appropriate temperature of about 155°F, the pork was removed from the oven and allowed to stand covered with foil.


When I was nearly ready to eat, I transferred the roast pork to a plate for slicing. Fancier people would transfer the roast to a platter.


I went ahead and cut a few slices.



I can only say this: Chef Bruce Aidells is king. The pork exterior was completely exquisite with tantalizing flavors and the interior so tender.

Cost:
  • oranges: $1.41
  • limes: $0.23
  • rum: $0.95
  • garlic: $0.15
  • pork shoulder butt roast: $9.45/4.75 lb
  • oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and oil: $1 SWAG
Total: $13.19. That's $2.20 for each of six or $1.65 for each of eight servings.


0 comments: