Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Potato Hash and Egg Makes a Late-Nite Dinner



I wasn't sure what I was going for when I started this potato dish, but I think I was aiming for something along the lines of hash browns. What I wound up with was something more toward caramelized potatoes.

A Russet potato shredded with the large holes of a box-grater were rinsed before transferring to a skillet including about 1 tbsp of hot oil. The potatoes were spread into a more even layer.


After a couple minutes I realized that plain hash browns suck, so I threw in some small-diced red onions, stirring them well into the potatoes before salt and pepper were sprinkled on.


What do you know, potatoes look like this 14 minutes later -- if you continue stirring and tossing them about, forgetting you wanted hash browns.


And 20 minutes later, the potatoes have shrunk down into crispy brown-ness with hints of caramelized onion making them impressively better than the hash browns the original intent might've been.


Throw an egg into the skillet and cook it to your personal specifications. Just a couple minutes later, dinner (or breakfast) is done.



For some freak reason I found it necessary to crowd the potatoes around the egg. Maybe I watch too many penguin nature shows.

These potatoes were simply a smash! Buttery, crispy, soft, nicely seasoned, almost caramelized...simply delicious.

Cost:
  • potatoes: $0.54
  • egg: $0.25
Total: $0.79.


0 comments: