Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Honey-Soy Glazed Drumsticks


Glazed chicken wings which required minimal effort.

I recently took freezer inventory and found 16 chicken drumsticks in there, packed in bags of 4. I put all of them in the fridge to thaw.

What to do with 16 drums?

Search Tastespotting, that's what. I found a good looking recipe linking back to The Zoe Blog. Zoe's is an adaptation of Martha Stewart's recipe. The only change I made to Zoe's adaptation was to increase it by 25% to accomodate the number of drums I had. Click the link below to go to Zoe's adaptation.

Honey-Soy glazed Drumsticks

16 drumsticks
5/8 c honey (oops, may have squeezed the bear a bit too much -- 3/4 c?)
2 1/4 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/4 tsp garlic cloves, minced
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Line a shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil and lay the drumsticks in alternating directions in rows.

Season drumsticks with salt and pepper, both sides.


Mix honey, soy sauce and garlic in a bowl.

Pour honey mixture over all the chicken and bake about 30-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes.

 

Once chicken is done, transfer the remaining sauce in the pan to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened. Serve chicken with sauce.



This chicken was pretty good and so sticky! I liked it quite a bit and wouldn't mind having it again. While Rodney enjoyed the flavor, he said he'd prefer it on wings. It turns out the drums are Rodney's least favorite part of the chicken. I'm not partial to gizzards or feet, but that's me.

Back to the sauce. I don't think it is really necessary unless you are one who really loves having sauce for dipping or drizzling. Rodney and me, we're not into it so much.

Next time I'll cut back on the sauce mixture overall and will keep the honey in check. I definitely went overboard. Every time I went to turn the drums during the baking time, the sauce was nearly boiling over at the lowest corner of my crappiest, most warped baking sheet. It'll save on the waste and cut 10 minutes of boiling/simmering time, getting us to the point of chowing more quickly. And I'll definitely try this recipe with wings.

Cost:
  • drumsticks: let's say 4 lbs at $0.59/lb = $2.36
  • everything else: let's say $2 since honey can be sort of pricey
Total: $4.36.


0 comments: