Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nigerian Stew and Sides Makes a Meal

You know I have The Doctor for a neighbor. I mentioned him once before as the guy who wanted to hitch a ride to the grocery store to pick up some fish. He's also the reason why I wound up purchasing the chops to make PW's Pan-Fried Pork Chops.

Anyway, as I'd been giving The Doctor rides, he'd been trying to pin me down as he wanted to say thanks for the rides by bringing me a home-cooked Nigerian dinner. Tonight he caught me as I was exiting my truck and shortly after, The Doctor brought dinner over. He had all of this stuff loaded in a box exactly as you see it here.

Steamed broccoli, Nigerian Stew (the particular name, I cannot recall), and some fried plantains and brown rice.

The plantains, well, you've seen plantains before. The Doctor cooked 'em up a little differently, but they were fried somehow. I know this because The Doctor lives in a studio and thus does not have an oven. Steamed? Ah, no, too crispy for that. And brown rice, well, it's brown rice.


The stew though was something I'd never had in life. It was very aromatic, the smells themselves were enough to eat.
Nigerian Stew, up closer. A little messy regarding presentation, but the dude is about 60 and he carried this 10 lb box of food (on real dishes!) down a flight of stairs, so a little respect please.

The stew consisted of chicken, salmon and catfish and many flavors I've never felt dance on my tongue. I carefully picked around the bones, taking care to try some of each flesh. While each meaty component was good, hands-down the catfish ruled supreme here. It was tender, moist without being soggy, and best of all, had essentially absorbed all of the flavors of the spices!

The salmon did take on some of the flavors, but as salmon does, rears it's head and roars, "I am salmon, you will taste ME." The chicken, while moist does as most chicken white meat does, take on some flavors, but still tastes like chicken.

As for the seasonings, I'm not sure what was in there! The Doctor wasn't too forthcoming about his recipe, giving me just general details. I'd probed him for more information, but to no avail. Some seasoning components though were pieces non-too fun to chew. Imagine grape stems, just the small part where grapes themselves actually hang. Had they pleasant flavor, or any flavor at all, I would not have picked them out.

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, enough for two decent-sized servings of each component. And I would've enjoyed it twice had I not found a beard hair in the stew and lint in the broccoli.

Oh Lordy. Talk about a big fat bummer.

Still, I appreciate The Dr's efforts and for exposing me to something that I will be looking into in the future: that delicious stew! FYI, my future attempts will be hairless.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Did you ever do a follow p n that recipe? I love trying food like that. Ditto on the hairless and I'll take mine without grape vine in it too. ⌒∠⌒

The Cook said...

Lol! You know what, I meant to get more information from The Doctor about this recipe, at least enough to take a stab at it myself, but I never did. He got busy, I got busy...but now that you've reminded me, I'll see what I can do. It did taste really good! That catfish!!!