Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Food Plan and Grocery List, 100210

Not really a real food plan, just an idea of things I might be able to pull together over the week based on a vague recollection of what I already had in house when I went shopping.

A neighbor of mine, the same totally bitchin' neighbor who gave us the sales counter which serves as my pantry, counterspace, cookware storage, spice rack holder etc, recently determined that he will best be able to do his work back in Africa, aiming to leave our country by the end of the year. So The Doctor sold his minivan.

I knew about The Doctor intending to go back to Africa by the end of year earlier, but didn't find out about the mini-van sale until last weekend, when I was goofing around with the screen of a 40-gallon terrarium in the bed of my tiny truck. The Doctor yelled to me from his parking-lot-facing studio, asking if I'd give him a ride to the Smart & Final. Done deal. We stopped at a bicycle shop so he could check pricing on 'cycle baskets and since they were so easy to install, The Doctor purchased one on the spot.

After we returned from our shopping excursion and I helped The Doctor bring his items up to his second-floor studio, I mentioned to him that I tend to do my grocery shopping Sunday afternoons and hit Grower's Direct and either Ralph's or Stater Bros, offering to bring him with me when I go if he needed to pick up some items.

A few days later, I ran into The Doctor when we were both coming into the complex gate, he on foot, me in my truck. The Doctor mentioned a fresh fish place he likes to get his fish from and asked if I'd be able to give him a ride. Fresh fish place? Sure! We planned for today.

Anyway, when we went shopping, I didn't have any plan prepared, but figured I'd have:

  • Ga Kho (as last time I stripped the jalepeno of seeds, removing any and all heat, like an idiot)
  • Aloo Phujia
  • Salt and Pepper Shrimp

I made up this plan based on what I'd purchased:

Westminster Superstore:

  • Roma tomatoes: $0.71/0.80 lb
  • large, head-on shrimp: $3.56/1.02 lb
  • TOTAL: $4.27
HMart:

  • jap che: $4.12
  • kimchi: $3.53
  • Fuji apples: $1.96/3.96 lb or 5 apples
  • scallions: $0.33/bunch
  • ginger: $0.24/0.16 lb
  • white yam: $0.62/0.78 lb
  • jalapeno pepper: $0.02/0.04 lb
  • TOTAL: $10.82
Grand Total: $15.09.

That's stupid cheap for a food plan, though I can't help but think I'll have to hit a store during the week. I just have that feeling.
......................................................................................
And I did:

Produce and Meat Mart, 100410

  • tomato (1)
  • jalapenos (2) as the first one turned red before I used it
  • Total: $0.57
Grand Total: $15.66

0 comments: