Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Doria's Original Haus of Pizza


Doria's Original Haus of Pizza Haus Special

It's been about a month since I picked up a pizza, so it was time I had one. Looking for something new, I went with a Yelp suggestion of Doria's Original Haus of Pizza. It ranked pretty good and is a Mom and Pop restaurant. That's always a bonus.

I called in my order, requesting the Haus Special, a 14" medium. Told it would be ready in about 25 minutes, I cruised over at the appropriate time, landing at 25 minutes post call. Being a Sunday night, it was pretty busy, a good sign. Unfortunately, I had to wait about 10-15 minutes for my pie. Typically a fairly patient person, I was getting anxious partially because there isn't really a good waiting area if you're picking up. So I tried to stand out of the way, but did a lot of shuffling to accomodate the incoming and exiting diners.

Meanwhile, I checked out the place from the "lobby". It is fairly dim, with a lot of booths suitable for crews of folks sharing a pie. The furniture looks like it's been around a while, but I didn't observe any duct tape holding split bench vinyl and foam together.

When I received my pizza, it came in this box:


I rushed it's hot and heaviness home, opening the box to find a serious pizza. It was loaded with toppings, and the crust looked pretty thick.

The Haus Special comes with pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, olives, and sausage

At first I was somewhat taken aback by the quantity of moisture at the corners of the box. This pizza was pretty wet. And then I noticed the lava-like cheese run-off. Wow! And the pizza was still so hot that it tended to fog the lens of the camera if I wasn't careful.


Shoveling a weighty slice onto a plate, I realized that handling it would be a big mess so pulled out a fork and knife.


And wow, the flavors were so freakin' good. The sauce was pleasantly rich in flavor and plentiful without oozing sloppy, the toppings, tender yet firm, were distributed to the edges though dense toward the center, and the onions were almost caramelized. But the cheese, dang, so much cheese!

This is a bite I picked up and it's a pepperoni and giant glob of cheese.


This is the crust the cheese and pepperoni were sitting on.



I can totally see what the Yelpers like about this pizza and why they keep going back to the Haus of Pizza. It reminded me of Nick's, but without the saltiness in the crust. I'll be back to Doria's, especially when I'm in the mood for some ooey-gooey comfort.

$17.78 for a 14" Haus Special, AmEx accepted.


0 comments: