Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hadley Whole Fancy Medjool Dates



I've used dates before I started posted the "new ingredients" I buy. Sweet and tasty, I wonder why I don't purchase them more often. With their high sugar content, they last a really long time sort of like honey.


Walking around on Hadley's website, I find there's been a study showing that dates have more antioxidants than cranberries, cherries, blueberries, or pears. That's impressive. Isn't it odd though that the study doesn't mention acai? Those berries have been touted as having crazy high levels of antioxidants, but maybe that's a sales pitch by Jamba Juice.

Medjool dates are big, bigger than prunes.


Inside each fruit there is a seed.


The seeds aren't eaten as is, but can be made edible by grinding into flour or soaked in water and crushed for animal feed.


Let me know if you make flour from the seeds and how you use it. Meanwhile, know that you can use the flesh to make some of the most kick-ass pancakes in the universe, Oatmeal Pancakes with Dates and Walnuts. Man, they are supreme cakes.

Available in the produce section of your local grocery for about $5.99/lb.


0 comments: