Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Slab Bacon from Celestino's


I thought finding a quarter pound hunk of slab bacon would be hard. Not so. Swinging into a place called Celestino's I learned that finding bacon is just a matter of stopping into a local non-chain meat store. If you have one in your town, I highly recommend you stop by and see what they have available.

My bacon was wrapped up and bagged by the extremely nice guy behind the counter, who I'm guessing is the owner. While chatting, I found out that Celestino's has veal bones from which they make stock and demi glace. If I call a few days in advance, they'll be sure to have however many pounds of veal bones I'd like ready to go.


Look at that bacon! I don't believe I've ever seen bacon that wasn't sliced before. It took all of my strength to keep myself from nibbling at the glorious brown edges.


And bacon cubes? These are going to make some soup really delicious.


Slab bacon, available at Celestino's for $10/lb. Normally I try to buy everything with my AmEx, but when it comes to supporting the local mom and pop shops I do cash so all of it supports the store rather than the credit card.


0 comments: