Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Honey-Balsamic Chicken with Caramelized Onions and Dates


Honey-Balsamic Chicken (tenderloins) with Caramelized Onions and Dates coupled with Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin

This is a recipe from Cooking Club magazine written specifically to be a fast main course for two. That'll work out to dinner three times for me as I'll include the tenderloins that came with a whole chicken. The recipe should easily be doubled if you have more mouths to feed.

Honey-Balsamic Chicken with Caramelized Onions and Dates
click to print

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (and their tenderloins, if you have them)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 c chopped red onion
3 tsp chopped fresh thyme, divided
6 pitted dates, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp honey

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.


Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook and stir onion and 2 teaspoons of the thyme 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften.


Push onion mixture to outside edges of skillet; add chicken to center. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, turning once and stirring onion mixture occasionally.


Stir in all remaining ingredients except remaining thyme.


Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 56 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

I went with 5 minutes to avoid my breasts getting bone dry. Remember that meat continues to cook after it's removed from heat.

Sprinkle with remaining one teaspoon thyme.



Very quick, very simple, and while it tasted good, quite sweet. I might have been a little heavy-handed with the honey. I admit to squirting a blob directly from the bear into the skillet rather than measuring. Maybe the dates the recipe author assumed I'd use were smaller ones. Should I do it again, I'd cut the Medjool date quantity a little. Or maybe what I'd do is use a wine instead of the stock to offer a little bit of a contrast to the sweetness.

While the Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin was great, it was a rich side to accompany this dish. Knowing what I do now, I'd opt for Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts and Basic Rice Pilaf instead.

Let me know what you think.

Cost:
  • breasts and tenderloins: $2.35
  • onion: $0.35
  • stock: $0.05
  • dates: $3, swag
Total: $5.75 or $1.92 for each of three servings. (I still have two entire breasts left.)


0 comments: