Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spiced Cranberry-Glazed Pork Tenderloin


Spiced Cranberry-Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin, and Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts

Meat with fruit hasn't been a combination I'd ever gone out of my way to do. I won't say that this recipe was one I was dying to try. Selecting it because of it's simplicity and a reason to use up some of the port in my fridge, I found that pork and cranberries is really, really good.

Spiced Cranberry-Glazed Pork Tenderloin
click to print

1 c fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 c red wine or cranberry juice (I used port)
1/2 c orange juice (I squeezed it fresh)
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 (1-lb.) pork tenderloin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Heat oven to 400ºF.

Combine cranberries, wine, orange juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and cloves in small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.


Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until most of the cranberries have popped, stirring occasionally.

I was a little apprehensive about cranberries popping, thinking they'd explode. That is not the case as the skin merely breaks open.

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.


Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot.


Cook pork 4-6 minutes, turning to brown all sides.


Pour cranberry mixture over pork; place skillet in oven.

I utilized a meat thermometer to ensure proper, not overdone, temperature.

Bake 710 to 12 minutes or until internal temperature of pork reaches 145ºF to 150ºF. Baste pork with sauce.

Out of oven at 147°F seven minutes later.

Remove pork; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.


Meanwhile, bring cranberry mixture in skillet to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 3 minutes or until slightly reduced. Serve over pork.



While a fairly busy recipe, it's well worth it to give a try. I'll certainly do it again. During cooking my apartment smelled like Christmas and I wondered whether the cinnamon and cloves would be overwhelming. They turned out to be just hints in the sauce.

Pork tenderloin is indeed fabulously tender and the fantastic cranberry sauce married very well with it. Slightly sweet, the sauce wasn't excessive which is surprising since I tend to think there is too much sauce unless we're talkin' hot fudge on a sundae, of course.

I served some of the leftover Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin with the pork and, unlike when it was served with the Honey-Balsamic Chicken, I didn't find it too rich.

Cost:
  • cranberries: $0.50
  • port: $1.20
  • tangerines: $0.25
  • pork tenderloin: $5.99
Total: $7.94 or $2.65 for each of three servings.


0 comments: