Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cilantro-Lime Corn Saute



The first and only creamed corn recipe I tried had way too much cream in my opinion but was otherwise pretty good. When I saw this recipe I couldn't help but notice that it only had a smidge each of milk and sour cream. Sure it sounded a little weird to me, particularly with the lime, and I was a little hesitant since it's "skinny" creamed corn but at least it wouldn't be soupy.

Cilantro-Lime Corn Saute
from Cooking Club of America
click to print

3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 c chopped onion
3 c corn kernels (from 3-4 ears corn)
2 tsp grated lime peel
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk milk and sour cream in small bowl; let stand at room temperature while preparing corn.
 
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion 4 minutes or until beginning to soften and just starting to lightly brown, stirring frequently.
 
Stir in corn. Cook, covered, 3 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring once.
 
Uncover; cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until almost tender with a slight bite, stirring frequently.
 
Increase heat to medium-high; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until corn is crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Stir in lime peel, lime juice, salt and pepper.
 
Remove from heat; stir in sour cream mixture and cilantro.



Uh, this was not nearly as good as the Tarragon Creamed Corn I ate with the Tarragon Butter Roasted Chicken. I saw where it was going and what was happening, that it should've been stopped before milk and sour cream were added. The corn was delicious until that point! Upon addition of dairy, some curdling happened. Yes, lime juice and dairy means curdling. I went ahead and squished the milky lumps as much as possible, but I did catch the occasional sour cream blob. That was just weird. And weirder when following a bite of Bolognese Meat Loaf.
 
When I do this again, I'll skip the sour cream and just use heavy cream. The creamy aspect wasn't overkill in this recipe (nor was the dish soupy),  the lumps were not appetizing. However I'd certainly consider skipping the dairy altogether since it is really good without. And I'll have it with something complimentary instead of an in-your-face main dish.
 
Cost:
  • milk: $0.08
  • sour cream: $0.28
  • unsalted butter: $0.09
  • chopped onion: $0.27
  • corn kernels: $1.77
  • lime: $0.25
  • fresh cilantro: $0.50

Total: $3.24 or $0.81 for each of four servings.

0 comments: