Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tarragon Creamed Corn



Paired with the last chicken recipe I tried was a recipe for creamed corn. I'll be honest: my creamed corn experience is limited to the stuff in a can. And I guess technically that's not truly creamed corn since there's no cream. For many, many years I thought creamed corn was smashed corn. Oops.

The recipe called for tarragon vinegar. With zero intention of buying tarragon vinegar to use this one time, I substituted with regular distilled white vinegar.  

Tarragon Creamed Corn

4 c corn kernels (from 5 or 6 ears corn)
1 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c chopped green onions
1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Fresh tarragon sprigs for garnish, if desired

Bring corn, cream, green onions and 1 tablespoon tarragon to a boil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
 
Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until corn is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
 
Stir in vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes.
 
Serve with chicken; garnish with tarragon sprigs.
 
 
Creamed corn might just not be my thing. It was creamy/soupy at the end of cooking and that didn't exactly turn me on. Is this how creamed corn is supposed to  turn out?
 
When serving, I took care to skim the corn from the top of the bowl, leaving the soupy part behind. The texture was good, the corn still tender. Sweet corn and tarragon go well together. Milk in my corn though...it was a little much for me.
 
Cost:
  • corn: $3.93
  • heavy whipping cream: $1
  • green onions: $0.79
  • fresh tarragon: $0.50, SWAG

Total: $6.22 or $1.56 for each of four servings.


0 comments: