Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Abby Fisher's Corn Egg Bread



I needed some corn bread for a recipe. Rather than do a corn bread I've already tried, a different one would be exciting. Unlike the others, this one doesn't contain any sugar or flour.  I was aiming for less sweet. Click the link for some historical info about Abby Fisher.

Abby Fisher's Corn Egg Bread
adapted from PBS
click to print

1 c milk
2 tsp vinegar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 c corn meal
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat the oven to 400 °F.

To make sour milk, add 2 teaspoons vinegar to 1 cup milk. Set the sour milk aside for a few minutes.
You'll see that it gets a little curdled looking, indicating that it's soured. You can use this for a buttermilk substitute according to a lot of sites.

Combine and stir all the ingredients with a wooden spoon (or fork, in my case) in a bowl until well mixed.


Generously spray an 8×8 square baking dish with non-stick spray.

Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the bread is set and does not jiggle in the center.



I don't think I mixed my batter well enough. Maybe the wooden spoon is the better way to go. The top of the corn bread is corny while the bottom is eggy. It's an interesting thing. Without any sugar, the corn bread is not at all sweet. Smearing cool butter on it causes the bread to crumble and that means you must turn your buttered bread over and dab at those crumbs using the butter as a sort of Swiffer picker-upper. I kinda liked that. While not exactly what I was looking for in a corn bread recipe, it is a lot closer. I think it will work well in the stuffed sausage recipe.


Cost:
  • milk: $0.45
  • eggs: $0.58
  • butter: $0.05
  • corn meal: $0.52

Total: $1.60 or $0.18 for each of 9 wedges.

0 comments: