Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First Street Pecan Halves



I picked these pecans up for cheesecake. It'll be the first time I've ever made a cheesecake without a graham cracker crust.


If you have allergies, you'll want to steer clear of these. Made on equipment shared with wheat, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.


A blurb from Larousse Gastronomique about the pecan nut or noix de pacane:
The fruit of a tall tree found in the northeastern United States. It has a smooth brown fragile shell enclosing a bilobed brown kernel looking and tasting something like a walnut. Pecan pie is very popular.
I've learned much more interesting things from the tome of food knowledge so I'll let that one slide.

Spreading them evenly on a baking sheet, I toasted them in a 325°F oven about 15 minutes, about twice the recommended time.


Hard to tell judging by this photo, but they came out really dark. I'm going to use them anyway.


First Street Pecan Halves, available in the baking aisle at Smart & Final for $9.19 a pound. And now you see why I used them. That pricing is insane.

0 comments: