Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cranberry-Oatmeal Muffins



I came across this muffing recipe in my latest copy of Cooking Club magazine and thought I'd give it a whirl since they'd be good for breakfast during the workweek. Who cares that it's already mid-week.

When I shopped for yogurt, I didn't want to buy a big tub of plain yogurt, knowing it would sit until moldy in the refrigerator.  So I bought a little 6 oz cup of plain Greek yogurt.  Knowing 8 oz is a full liquid cup, I increased the milk volume to make up for the 2 oz lack of yogurt.  That made the batter quite loose and I wound up making 12 muffins instead of nine.

Cranberry-Oatmeal Muffins

1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c old-fashioned oats
1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 c dried cranberries
6 oz plain yogurt
1/2 c + 3 tbsp milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

STREUSEL
1/4 c old-fashioned oats
3 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400ºF.

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in large bowl. Stir in cranberries.
 

Whisk yogurt, milk, egg, butter and vanilla in medium bowl.
 

Stir in flour mixture just until combined.


Spoon into muffin cups.


Combine all streusel ingredients in small bowl; sprinkle over muffins.


Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.


The muffins tasted ok, but they stuck to the paper liners.  And muffins sticking to the paper liners are a pain in the ass.  I shouldn't have messed with the milk volume.  I'm kicking myself.

Cost:
I'm not sure how to calculate this since the majority is stuff we always have anyway.  I could assume $5 total, making each muffin about 42 cents, but that's some serious SWAG.  


0 comments: