Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Food Plan and Grocery List, 022810

Two weeks of eating less meat and we're back in the meat saddle.  Rodney gorged on meat last weekend (his fervor was almost frightening) and picked up meaty tacos for lunch at least one day during the week. While I could continue this less meat thing, it doesn't make sense to do that if 50% or more of our groceries goes to waste because Rodney's chowing on buckets of take-out meat instead.  I have learned that not all of our meals have to have flesh as the primary focus in order to be good.  I'm hoping to mix it up a little more in the future.

This week's line-up though is meat-ladened, however chicken accounts for a good portion. In no particular order:
  • Taco Salad
  • Chicken Chilaquiles-Spiced soft tacos
  • Vietnamese Chicken in Caramel-Ginger Sauce
  • Italian Basil, Tomato and Pasta Salad
  • Chicken with Marinated Olives and Roasted Tomatoes
  • Spinach Salad with Warm Maple-Mustard Dressing
  • Sauteed Cod (from my new-to-me but used $2 copy of How to Cook Everything)
    • Caramelized Onions
    • Mashed Potatoes
A lot of this is stuff we've had before and a couple are new things carried over from last week that I didn't get to. I'm off to the stores...
...................................................................................

...and here's what I bought:

Costco
  • Kirkland organic salsa: $5.99
  • Kirkland organic salsa: $5.99
  • tortilla chips: $3.09
  • tortilla chips: $3.09
    • what can I say, we love chips and salsa
  • Guerrero flour tortillas: $3.25
  • maple syrup, grade A: $13.49
  • cod fillets: $14.89
  • turkey slices: $6.93
  • TOTAL: $56.72
Grower's Direct:
  • green grapes: $3.56/1.43 lb
  • lemon: $0.45/0.5 lb
  • red potatoes: $1.19/2.01 lb
  • red onion: $0.39/0.56 lb
  • Roma tomatoes: $2.11/1.52 lb
  • brown onions: $0.41/0.83 lb
  • carrots: $0.41/1.05 lb
  • romaine lettuce: $1.38/2 heads
  • fresh cilantro: $0.29/bunch
  • baby spinach: $1.99/6 oz
  • fresh basil: $1.20/bunch
  • grape tomatoes: $4.78/2 pints
  • TOTAL: $18.16
Stater Bros.:
  • oatnut bread: $2.49/loaf
  • medium shrimp, frozen: $13.98/4 lbs
  • eggs: $2.59/18
  • provolone cheese, sliced: $2.99/8 oz
  • Herdez verde salsa, mild: $2.49
  • whole chicken: $4.24 @ 0.77/lb
  • whole chicken: $4.19 @ 0.77/lb
  • boneless, skinless chicken thighs: $3.70 @ $1.99/lb
  • boneless, skinless chicken thighs: $3.05 @ $1.99/lb
  • TOTAL: $39.72
Grand Total: $114.60.  Is that right?  Let me double check: $114.60.  Sure enough. 

I can't say that it was due to the meat since we bought tons of chips and salsa.  What can I say?  We love our chips and salsa.  And there is the fish and shrimp (I couldn't pass on the shrimp as it was on sale again). 

As for the bread, provolone and turkey, I wanted to make sure I'd have something to bring to work in case there were no leftovers to take with me.  At least I'll be able to slap a sandwich together.  Rodney's lucky -- he works close enough to be able to come home for lunch and have whatever he wants.

Oh yeah, I also picked up 2 white Corelle dinner plates when we were getting Rodney some moustache wax -- $11 and they are made in the USA!

0 comments: