Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Linguine with Artichoke Hearts and Prosciutto



This pasta dish was another from a Cooking Club magazine selected for simplicity and the fact that it called for things I like. Artichoke hearts? Check. Linguine? Check. Tomatoes and wine? Check, check. Prosciutto? Hmm, I've enjoyed it when I had it before but this is my first time using it.

I didn't change anything from the original recipe except that I found I was short on linguine! I substituted a little more than half the linguine with spaghetti noodles, but added the spaghetti only after the linguine had started cooking a minute or so in order to get al dente from both pastas.

Linguine with Artichoke Hearts and Prosciutto

8 oz. linguine
2 tbsp olive oil
4 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 (14-oz.) cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained
2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1/4 c white wine or chicken broth
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese, divided

Cook linguine according to package directions; drain. Return to pot.

Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Chop prosciutto if you haven't already.


Cook prosciutto 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.


Add artichoke hearts; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.


Add tomatoes, wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes.

Soupy pasta is not my thing; I didn't care for how wet this looked after 5 minutes and let it simmer an additional 10 minutes.

Toss linguine with sauce and 1/4 cup of the cheese.


Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese when serving.


This was easy to assemble and done within 30 minutes, which was very nice for a weeknight, but disappointing in that it was boring on the palate. Don't get me wrong, it tasted ok, texture was fine, looked and smelled great; it was just...meh. Just no flavor explosion. And it wasn't me; Rodney felt the same way.

Rodney thought it needed olives. I don't agree. I wonder how much more the flavors would pop if the prosciutto was added at the end, during simmering, rather than being browned first and continuously heating the remaining time. Plus, I think it would be advantageous to use basil, garlic and oregano with regular canned diced tomatoes instead of tomatoes with the basil, garlic and oregano built in. Should I do this again, I would serve olives on the side, comply with my comments and additionally, I'd drain one can of tomatoes, reducing simmering time.

Will I make this again? I'm not too sure about that. Maybe. I wouldn't rule it out, but I won't make it a point.

Cost:

  • linguine/spaghetti: $0.50
  • prosciutto: $3.50
  • artichoke hearts: $6
  • diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano: $2.40
Total: $12.40 for 4 servings, making each $3.10. Less expensive than our last pasta and ham dish, Pasta Shells with Cauliflower, Bacon and Spinach, but not nearly as pleasing.


0 comments: