Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Plan and Grocery List, 022110

Believe it or not, I'm doing ok with this less meat thing we've got going on. I don't really miss having a slab of meat with dinner and the little meat we have had were enough. The cat didn't look at all delicious by midweek.

Rodney though, was suffering by Friday night and tried to talk me into getting Carl's Jr burgers. Saturday night, he couldn't take it any longer and picked up a tub of carnitas, a crispy chicken taco and two Cokes -- all for himself, though I do think his master plan was to subtly coax me back into our old gluttonous meat-eating ways. I stuck with my original plan to have leftover linguine with the little bits of prosciutto.

This afternoon, we went up to the Westminster Mall for some stuff and I scored Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything for $2 at a used bookstore. What a deal! Then we stopped at the foodcourt and I ate a vegetarian slice of pizza while Rodney put away a huge pile of beef and chicken from Panda Express. What a heathen! It'll be interesting to hear how Rodney is faring tomorrow.

Before we went shopping, I'd put my food plan together as well as the grocery list. Rodney better have gotten his meat fill because other than a pound of ground beef, there is no meat to be found in this plan.

The line-up, in no particular order:

  • Warm Tuscan White Beans with Butternut Squash and Sage
  • Quick Minestrone
  • Crab with Spaghetti
  • Salsa-Style Orange Roughy
  • Taco Salad
  • Roasted Beet Salad
  • Italian Basil, Tomato and Pasta Salad
  • Chopped Romaine Salad with Beets and Apple
  • Chocolate Banana Bread
  • Walnut Spice Muffins
This is what I bought when I went grocery shopping:

Grower's Direct:

  • navel orange, small: $0.18
  • zucchini: $1.21/1.36 lb
  • green onion: $0.39/bunch
  • Roma tomatoes: $0.97/0.98 lb
  • brown onions: $0.91/1.85 lb
  • beets: $1.69/bunch
  • romaine lettuce: $0.79/head
  • watercress: $1.49/bunch
  • baby spinach: $3.98/12 oz
  • butter lettuce: $2.59/live head
  • TOTAL: $14.20
Ralph's:

  • kidney beans: $0.89/15 oz
  • kidney beans: $0.89/15 oz
  • olive oil: $14.99/L
  • pimentos: $1.99
  • lump crab meat: $3.49/6 oz
  • lump crab meat: $3.49/6 oz
  • parmesan cheese wedge: $3.99/8 oz
  • bittersweet chocolate: $3.49/4 oz
  • Oceanspray juice: $1.97/2 L
  • Oceanspray juice: $1.97/2 L
  • Total: $37.36
Grand Total: $51.56.

I still have to pick up another beet, belgian endive and an avocado.

Ok, so going meatless may have some benefits. It's cheap. I could carry everything from the truck to the apartment in one load myself, without struggling. (No wonder vegetarians are so spindly; they don't require the strength of an army of weightlifters to get their meat into the kitchen). The time to put everything away was so short -- anything not in a can or bottle went into the refrigerator.

The question now is what the hell am I going to do with all the chicken, beef and pork in the freezer?

0 comments: