Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Seared Autumn Vegetables


Cast-iron skillet seared brussel sprouts and butternut squash to accompany Crispy-Topped Herbed Orange Roughy Fillets

This is a recipe I had my eye on long before I had a cast iron skillet. It's from one of my Cooking Pleasures magazines and I'm excited to try it!

Seared Autumn Vegetables

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 lb small Brussel sprouts, halved (quartered if large)
1/4 c water
1/ lb. butternut squash, cubed, 1"
1 1/2 tsp course salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 c chopped pecans

Melt butter in large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.


Add Brussel sprouts and water; cook, covered, 5 minutes.


Add squash, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until just tender.

Uncover; cook and stir 3 minutes or until water has evaporated and vegetables are slightly browned.

Stir in syrup; cook 1 minute. Stir in pecans.



I was delighted at how well this turned out! The vegetables were superb, sweet but not overly so and the textures were simply fantastic. The nuts weren't critical in my opinion so if you don't have any that's no reason not to try this. Rodney wasn't a big fan of this for some reason. But what does he know?

I'll certainly be making this again! I'm kicking myself for not getting cast-iron sooner.

Cost:

  • brussel sprouts: $0.92
  • butternut squash: $0.89
  • SWAG on everything else: $1
Total: $2.81 or $0.94 for each of three servings.


0 comments: