Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Alejandro's Mexican Food

We visited Alejandro's a few times after we first moved into our apartment. It was convenient as this joint is open 24 hours. The marquee says so, see?

Rodney was having an Alejandro's craving. Since it had been a while, I checked online to see if I could find a menu. I wanted to know if they had any tacos al pastor. Shane T's menu photo on Yelp informed me that tacos al pastor were not to be had. Comments about Alejandro's on Yelp convinced me to give Carne Asada Fries a try and sure enough, when Rodney and I got there, I saw the fries on the menu (under Tostadas). Rodney decided on a carnitas burrito.

In case you were unaware, there is a notice right on the drive-thru menu that says something along the lines of Alejandro's being a cash-only operation, but there is an ATM at the front near the walk-up windows.

Here's a view of the outdoor seating from the drive-thru.


When we arrived home, I opened my box of dinner and was astounded at the amount of beef, cheese, guacamole and crema was packed on top of the crispy french fries. I'd never seen anything like this, which makes sense as I'd never heard of carne asada fries before tonight.


I scraped off most of the cream and avoiding the pasty-looking guacamole, started in on this pile of fries with the supplied fork. Sure it tasted ok, but after eating a third of this beast, I was pretty full and sort of feeling sick. Then I felt my ass sprout another cheek to the slow sporadic rhythm of my heart seizing.

After contemplating those Yelp reviews, I realized the kids commenting are exactly that -- kids from UCI who have a decade or two before being concerned about the benefits of fiber, low-fat diets and other boring things like that. Now I know it's official, I'm definitely old.

In case you can't see it in the photo, "Fryies with Carne Asada" go for $6.25 and carnitas burritos are going for $4.30.

0 comments: