Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Alpine Valley Breads Organic 21 Whole Grains



Spying this bread at Costco, I had to give it a go. I mean, 21 whole grains and it's not hard like wheaty bread can be.

Like almost anything from Costco, the bread comes in a pack of two. One of them went into the freezer right away.


And check out this ingredient statement. It's huge but it's all seeds and grains. In case you can't read through the glare, here are the ingredients (all are organic): whole grain wheat flour, cracked whole wheat, water, wheat flour, honey, red wheat, oats, barley, corn, rye, flaxseed, millet, oat bran, sprouted wheat berries, sunflower seed, wheat bran, cracked wheat, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, black sesame seeds, quinoa, oat groats, spelt, blue corn, cultured wheat flour, vinegar, sea salt, yeast, natural enzymes.


Did you notice there were no preservatives? No sugar but honey?

Note too that one slice of this bread has more fiber than 1/4 cup of prunes. Prunes really have been stereotyped.


The slicer at the Alpine Valley factory is trippy. The slices aren't exactly even; some are thicker than others.


See what I mean?


A little sticky from the honey, the bread is just great for sandwiches.


Particularly the pb&j kind.


Alpine Valley 21 Whole Grain Bread, available at Costco in a pack of two 24-oz loaves for $6.99.

...................................................................................................................................................
Updated 4/24/14
After Greg posted his comment about the crunchy bits in the bread, I went and bought some more June 1st or 2nd, 2013. As I said in my comment, the ingredient statement was the same as the first loaves I purchased. Over a couple of weeks, I ate both loaves and didn't observe any weirdness. In case anyone is interested, I snapped a photo of what I believe is the lot number of these loaves. You should look for something similar if calling Alpine Valley or Costco.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been buying this for a few weeks at different locations It is really good. This time i bought from Costco and was disappointed that the bread seemed to have an unpleasant crunch between my teeth. It seemed like they added something that wasnt there before. As i have a second loaf in the freezer i am wondering if i should go back to Miltons bread
as i was put off by the glass like crunch

Unknown said...

I have been buying this for a few weeks at different locations It is really good. This time i bought from Costco and was disappointed that the bread seemed to have an unpleasant crunch between my teeth. It seemed like they added something that wasnt there before. As i have a second loaf in the freezer i am wondering if i should go back to Miltons bread
as i was put off by the glass like crunch

The Cook said...

Hi Greg,

That seems really weird. My first thought was that maybe Costco got a funky (contaminated?) lot of bread.

I just took a moment to see if the ingredient statement on the bread I'd purchased from Costco (in this post dated 5/20/12) matches the ingredient statement currently listed on the Alpine Valley website (05/05/13): http://www.alpinevalleybread.com/21-whole-grains.php.

The ingredient statements don't match. The bread I'd purchased included quinoa. Check the ingredient label on the loaf in your freezer and see if it has quinoa or not. That might be the component you don't like. Of course, you'll have to see if your other stores carry the bread without quinoa to be sure that's the unsatisfying component.

I'm not sure what that means because it is very odd that Alpine Valley would produce 21 Whole Grain bread for Costco including quinoa while also producing 21 Whole Grain bread for other stores without quinoa. From a quality perspective that would be a labeling nightmare.

Give Alpine Valley a call ((480) 483-2774) and ask. Let me know what you find out. I'm intrigued!

Anonymous said...

I tried some of this bread in two different states. In NM the bread was great. The bread from the COSTCO in Orange County, the store on Heather Ridge had a white crystal , like a shard of glass but was more fragile like calcite or gypsum that crunched like sand. This was experienced with both loaves by three different people! Told the manager, and I am to bring the crystal that didn't get eaten into COSTCO with the remaining bread. Too bad, I love the bread!

The Cook said...

Ugh!! Since Greg left his comment I've purchased more of this bread from Costco (Fountain Valley) and am currently working on the second loaf. I haven't noticed anything similar to what you and Greg have described but now will keep my eyes peeled going forward! That sucks!

Do you have the lot number for your loaves? Alpine Valley should be able to pinpoint where the contamination came into play and which lots are affected.

Let me know what happens when you talk to Costco and I hope you get your money back!

Anonymous said...

we used to buy alpine valley breads from costco specifically because they were only sweetened with honey. but this past week, we were shocked that the ingredients now contain evaporated cane sugar! if you are trying to avoid cane sugar like us, be sure to check the ingredients. alpine valley changed it! so disappointed. thanks leah

The Cook said...

Thanks for the update, Leah!

Anonymous said...

I found at a local frys yum bye bye no carb.

Janet McConnaughey said...

Given enough honey to make the bread sticky, could the crunchies be crystallized honey?

The Cook said...

Janet, you could be spot on!