Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stater Bros. Evaporated Milk




This can took me a while to find in the store. I examined everything in the baking aisle first, then it dawned on me it could be over by the coffee.


Comparing the two brands available, I opted for this one because it had the same stuff in the ingredient statement as the other brand but this one was less expensive.


Per Larousse Gastronomique:
Evaporated milk is a concentrated homogenized milk, which is sterilized in the can and which, unopened, will keep almost indefinitely.

Don't forget to shake it before you open it!

Apparently, when you dehydrate the milk a little bit it becomes faintly tan in color, sort of like concentrated almond milk. And it tastes...cooked.


I might try making my own sometime by reducing milk to half it's volume over low heat in a saucepan. It should work.

Stater Bros. Evaporated Milk, available in the coffee aisle in a 12 oz can for $0.99.


0 comments: