Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Roast Pork with Fennel, Leek and Lemon



Not only does this recipe give me the opportunity to try a pork roast again, but to try fennel bulbs. The first/last time I used fennel, I used the fronds and discarded the bulb. If the fennel bulb plays a role here like the fronds did in Boneless Short Ribs with Tomato and Fennel, it's going to be excellent.

Roast Pork with Fennel, Leek and Lemon
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

1 large lemon
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced (1 inch)(4 cups)
2 medium fennel bulbs (about 1 lb.), cut into 1-inch wedges (3 cups)*
6 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp coarse salt, divided
1 tsp pepper, divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 (4-lb.) single boneless center-cut pork loin
1/2 c chicken stock
2 tbsp Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur (or 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds mixed with 1 tablespoon lower-sodium chicken broth)

Heat oven to 425°F. Grate lemon peel (about 2 teaspoons). Slice lemon.


Combine lemon peel, garlic, fennel seeds and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in small bowl.
 

Toss leeks, fennel, lemon slices, 4 tablespoons of the oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper in large bowl.



Arrange on large rimmed baking sheet.


Drizzle pork with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and rub all over; pat garlic mixture over pork. Place pork on top of vegetables.



Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.; bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F.

Mine was in the oven a total of 57 minutes before the meat thermometer beeped at 145°F.

Remove from oven; place pork on cutting board. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Remove and reserve lemon slices from baking sheet.


Meanwhile, place baking sheet with vegetables over medium heat; stir in broth and Pernod.


Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of baking sheet. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly reduced.


Serve pork with vegetables and sauce. Garnish with reserved lemon slices.




The pork looked perfect when it came out of the oven. Between the time I covered the roast with foil to finish the vegetables and the time I was ready to slice the pork, it had risen 15°F to 160°F. And the pork turned out a little tough and dry which surprised me. I did everything right, right? After scratching my head over that one as I ate, the big pool of meat juice under the remaining loin clued me in a little. Having rested for only 21 minutes, I bet I carved the roast too early.

The fennel and leeks didn't look very appetizing especially after deglazing the baking sheet but they turned out to be the star of this show, simply excellent -- talk about a flavor explosion! For a few minutes I considered the option of avoiding them as though they'd already served their purpose as a bed for the pork and were now useless. I'm so glad I tried the vegetables. I can't imagine how this review would go over it wasn't for them! The flavors are pretty powerful complimenting the pork very nicely. This main course is definitely satisfying. It is unknown what the Pernod contributed, but I'll say for my pocketbook it was a good idea.

My first time enjoying fennel bulb and leeks as a primary component of a dish was a win. The leeks were very soft, almost too soft, a quality normally not looked at with fondness. That was easily overlooked as they nearly melted with delicious flavor. The outer edges of the fennel wedges were quite firm, almost crunchy, offering nice contrast. I wonder if those tougher outer edges are supposed to be discarded!

In case you aren't a big fan of leeks and fennel, believing firmly that yes, a new side dish would have to be made, I've got you covered. After all, I was pretty sure I'd need a back-up myself. Turns out I would because while there's 8 servings of pork, there's only 4 of the leeks and fennel.

Cost:
Total: $13.90 or $1.74 for each of 8 servings.

0 comments: