Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore


Tomato sauce with big chunks of chicken on linguine = chicken cacciatore.

I made this recipe once before, prior to the start of this blog. That time, I used Swanson chicken broth instead of wine. This time, I bought me some Noilly Prat.

The recipe is another one from my handy-dandy Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I didn't change anything except for using vermouth rather than wine. But that doesn't really count, does it? And since I froze thighs and legs in packs of four each from all those chickens I bought, I just used those and didn't sweat being boobless. Oh, and I didn't have parsley. Or maybe I did and simply forgot it.

Chicken Cacciatore

2-1/2 to 3 lb meaty chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
2 tbsp olive oil
1-1/2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6-oz can tomato paste
3/4 c dry white wine or Noilly Prat
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Hot cooked fettuccine or linguine

Skin chicken.


In a large skillet brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.


Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings in skillet; set chicken aside.


Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to drippings in skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.


Return chicken to skillet.


Pour tomato mixture over chicken in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.


Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180°F for thighs and drumsticks), turning once during cooking.
 

Serve over hot cooked pasta.


While this tasted alright, it was just a simple, basic tomato-based sauce, though with some zing from the Noilly Prat. I wonder if it would be better if the sauce was cooked down a bit more, which is a distinct possibility. It was certainly edible and there won't be any that goes to waste. Yet, if I make chicken cacciatore again, I will try a different recipe.

Cost:

  • chicken: $3.00
  • mushrooms: $2.99
  • onion: $0.15
  • diced tomatoes: $1.00
  • tomato paste: $0.42
  • Noilly Prat: $3.88
Total: $11.44. Since we didn't use all the Noilly Prat for this, I'll assume the cost of the other ingredients is included in the total cost of that. Serves 4.


0 comments: