Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Baked Rice Pudding


It looked much nicer than this, but for some reason, I ran a knife around the edge after this rice pudding was finished. Why? I dunno.

This recipe is one from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 14th edition. When I looked for the recipe on the BHG website, I couldn't find it.

Baked Rice Pudding

3 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 c cooked, warm rice
1/2 c dried fruit, such as cranberries

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a medium, or 1.75 quart Pyrex bowl, beat eggs slightly.


Stir milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt into the eggs with a wire whisk until combined but not foamy.


Stir in rice and dried cranberries.


Pour mixture into a 1.5 quart casserole, or simply leave it in your Pyrex bowl. Place the casserole or Pyrex bowl into a 2-quart square baking dish. Pour boiling water into the 2-quart dish.


Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; stir.


Bake 20-25 minutes more or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

After 20 minutes, my pudding wasn't done and so it went back into the oven an additional 5 minutes.

I love rice pudding.  Rodney hates it, though I don't know if it's because he thinks rice pudding is gross or if it's because it's loaded with lactose.  No matter, this is a dessert I don't have to share! 

A great thing about it is that outside of milk, it's stuff we always have anyway.  If we have real milk, I make it a point to cook extra rice (like when we have Vietnamese Chicken) and leave it on "warm" in the ricecooker so it's ready to roll when I'm ready to make this pudding. 

I have tried making this pudding with cold cooked rice not too long ago, but it doesn't work out as nicely.  It'll take an extra few minutes to make rice if you don't have some warm stuff ready, but it's worth it.


0 comments: