Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Green Beans Provencal


Green beans+bell peppers+nuts+basil = super yum!

This was a recipe in one of my Cooking Pleasures (now known as Cooking Club) magazines. While the recipe called for 2 lbs of green beans, I purchased only 1.3 lbs since I don't weigh my goods at the point of collection. Oops. That was the only thing I changed; I wish I had a link for you to double-check, but it seems the site is broken...again. You'll just have to trust me.

Green Beans Provencal

0.94 lb green beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1.5 tsp dry basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted if desired

Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in large pot over high heat. Add beans; return to a boil. Cook until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; run under cold water to stop cooking.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper; cook and stir 1-2 minutes.


Add beans; cook 5 minutes or until heated, stirring occasionally.


Stir in basil and salt.


Sprinkle with pine nuts.



While Rodney thought this was just ok as it had "too many peppers", I thought it was completely fabulous! I can't wait to do this again, though I will be sure to use the original amount of beans, 2 lbs. I think it's likely Rodney will like it better as the amount of peppers would thus be reduced by half in comparison.

Cost:

green beans: $1.31
red bell pepper: $1.67

Total: $2.98 -- let's say $4 to include nuts and stuff. That makes each serving about $1.34.


0 comments: