Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chesapeake Bay Pork Chops


Seasoned Chesapeake Bay Pork Chop from the broiler.

Pork chops were on sale this week and I decided to give them another go. The last couple times I made chops, I did the Italian-Breaded Pork Chop recipe, which was really good. This time, I thought I'd try a different recipe from allrecipes.com. The original recipe calls for 8 chops, which is way too much for two, so I cut the recipe in half. Also, I didn't have fresh basil so used dry.

Chesapeake Bay Pork Chops

1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Old Bay
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 lime, juiced
cracked black pepper to taste
4 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick

Mix vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, seafood seasoning, minced garlic, basil, lime juice, and black pepper in a resealable plastic bag by mashing it all together.


Add the pork chops, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours, flipping periodically.


Prepare the broiler pan by lining it with foil if you like and heat broiler. Remove the pork chops from the bags. Discard excess marinade.


Grill until the pork is no longer pink in the center, approximately 5 to 7 minutes per side.

Let chops rest a minute.



The flavor of the pork chops was excellent!  I am falling in love with Old Bay, as is Rodney.  Unfortunately, I didn't bother to take the internal temperature of the chops and overcooked them so they turned out a bit dry.  Next time, I'll definitely get out the meat thermometer and go by that rather than the time.  When will I learn?

Outside of the time standing around waiting for the pork to marinade, this recipe was quick -- less than 30 minutes. 

Cost:
  • pork chops: $4.37
  • lime: $0.18
Total: $4.55.  Round up to $5 to include other stuff like vinegar and that brings it to $1.25 per serving.

We had our chops with steamed carrots and Spiderman macaroni and cheese.


0 comments: