Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Broccoli with Kalamata Olives, Garlic and Lemon


Some Broccoli with Kalamata Olive, Garlic and Lemon anticipating chicken breasts.

I needed something to accompany Italian Marinated Chicken Breasts and thought some broccoli would fit the bill.

Rodney and I used to have broccoli very regularly when we lived with my brother and sister-in-law back in the day. Because my little brother believes broccoli "cuts" his mouth unless thoroughly cooked, that regularly-based broccoli was most definitely cooked. Since it's been a while, I've had a little hankerin' for some crispy broccoli.

I'd come across a fantastic photo of broccoli with Kalamata olives (those fancy ones Rodney likes so much) when browsing Tastespotting. Click the recipe title link below to check out the original recipe over at For the Love of Cooking. Or click on For The Love of Cooking to go straight to something new and see photos of food that will make you lick your monitor.

I didn't change anything, but was a little heavy-handed with the salt.

Broccoli with Kalamata Olives, Garlic and Lemon

1-1.25 lb of broccoli florets, cleaned and trimmed
1-2 tbsp olive oil
10-12 kalamata olives (or more if you want)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Steam broccoli until it is JUST cooked, which means bright green, about 3-5 minutes.


When broccoli is nearly finished steaming, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.


Add the olives, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently for about 1 minute.


Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, steamed broccoli florets, sea salt and pepper to taste.


Gently mix the broccoli until well coated.



It looked great; both Rodney and I were chomping at the bit to get a taste of this crispy broccoli.  That's when we found that I was very heavy-handed with the salt.  I guess I was just excited about sprinkling some Kosher salt on (since I had a whole bunch from the turkey brining a couple weeks ago), like I've seen Alton Brown do with steak. 

Take note: salting broccoli is not at all like salting steak, especially broccoli with salty olives.  In all reality, this recipe could probably do without any salting while cooking.  Any additional salt should be added at the point of consumption.  Really.

Cost:
  • broccoli: $1.78
  • lemon, let's say $1
  • assuming other ingredients come out to $0.22
Total: $3.

Yep, I'll try this again, omitting salt until the plate has reached the table.


0 comments: