Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Turkey Pocket Pies Part 1


Turkey Pocket Pies!

When browsing Tastespotting one day a few weeks ago, I came across this recipe (click the link below). While these pocket pies were cute, obviously time consuming and difficult, I knew my leftover turkey mojo could take on the task. So confident was I that I just had to double the recipe! Thus the work was divided over 2 days. Once in a while, I bite off more than I can chew.

I didn't do much altering, just turkey for chicken, basil for dill, and, oh, I doubled everything.

Savory Chicken Pot Pies

2 heaping c of shredded turkey
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 c chopped onion
2/3 c chopped celery
2/3 c chopped carrot
1 c frozen peas
1 tsp coarse salt
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 c chicken broth
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried basil

To make the filling, in a medium hot skillet, melt the butter and add the onion, celery, peas and carrots.


Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, basil and flour and cook for 1 minute more.


Add chicken broth and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.


Stir in turkey and the Parmesan cheese. Cover and cool in the fridge overnight.


Cream Cheese Pastry

1 c unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
3 c plus 4 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
1 tsp coarse salt
1 large egg, for egg wash (don't need this 'til part 2)

In a food processor or using an electric mixer or by hand, process the butter, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream.



Add the flour and salt; process just until combined and the dough holds together in a ball.


Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and divide into 4 pieces.


Flatten into disks and wrap each in plastic wrap.


Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. If the dough is chilled overnight, take it out 15 minutes before rolling out.

At this point, it was 10 p.m. I was done for the night. There's no way I could go on. While everything was in the refrigerator already, it was a good stopping point.


Rodney and I ate some turkey, mashed potatoes and Stove-Top stuffing for dinner.

0 comments: