Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cleaning My Oven for the First Time in Three Years

My shiny clean oven!

It all started when I took a close look at my stove-top. Remembering that I had purchased some Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner years ago, I squirted some on the stove and wiped it down a few minutes later to find myself shocked at the difference. Here's a clean stove-top:


So I figured the least I could do is clean the oven door interior. I opened it and was stunned by the filth I had ignored over the past three years. Look at the glass! Gross! So I sprayed the oven door generously with the oven cleaner.


After waiting 5 minutes and wiping it down with a damp sponge (with multiple rinses), I found that the glass in the door still had some goo on it. I covered it in cleaner, waited a few minutes, and wiped it down again. Wow, what a difference!


So then I figured I may as well do the oven interior. Look at the charcoal that had accrued.


I wiped the chunks out.


And then sprayed the oven with the cleaner, covering the bottom, the ceiling and the walls.

After about 45 minutes (I was doing homework and was on a roll), I wiped the oven out with my grody sponge. And just look at it!



I'm ashamed that it took me so long to clean my oven considering how little elbow grease went into it. Gotta love sodium hydroxide!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

umes can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. Oven Cleaners can be one of the most dangerous cleaning products causing severe damage to eyes, skin, mouth, and throat. Toilet Bowl Cleaners can be harmful just by breathing the fumes—and fatal if swallowed.


Oven Cleaning brisbane | Oven Cleaning

The Cook said...

Marcus, you're right. Sodium hydroxide, a.k.a, lye, is the active ingredient and it is a caustic. Wear gloves. You'll know if you inhale it because it is quite harsh and coughing will ensue.

As with all cleaning products and chemicals in general, read the instructions, learn about the active ingredients, and most of all, apply some sense when utilizing them and don't allow access to kids.

For me, I love it NaOH. It's super effective in so many ways and I'm really good about not inhaling or swallowing it.

Commercialcleaning said...

It was a great information and Its really worth reading it. The author did an mind blowing work by describing each and every step of cleaning.
Regards,
Office Cleaning Sunshine Coast|Commercial Cleaning Sunshine Coast|Commercial Cleaning Services Brisbane|Office Cleaning Sydney

cleaning services said...

Thanks for the informative post. It's posts like this that are giving me more confidence in my own abilities.

oven cleaning company Melbourne
best carpet cleaner Melbourne