Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Salt and Pepper Shrimp



Looking at a whole pound of shrimp for Salt and Pepper Shrimp, I knew it'd be too much. And if I cooked all of it tonight, it wouldn't maintain it's crisp for decent leftovers. So I hope the remaining shrimp will last yet another day in the fridge.


I followed a recipe from the same folks I'd obtained the Ga-Kho recipe: Ravenous Couple. Who could go wrong there? Apparently, I can, as I didn't follow their instructions. I failed to include the jalapeno while using all of the salt and pepper, yielding nicely peppered but overly salted, but not at all spicy, shrimp. I could barely choke the shrimp down due to the undue amount of salt! Be sure to read the recipe before you start!

Tom Rang Muoi Salt and Pepper Shrimp
adapted from Ravenous Couple, and seen in Saveur

10-12 large head-on shell-on shrimps
1/2 cup corn starch
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sichuan peppercorns (optional)
cooking oil
1 medium white onion, sliced in thin wedges
1 -2 jalapenos, sliced thin and use according to taste
1 scallion, cut about 1/2 inch length
1 tbsp minced garlic

Wash shrimp in cold water and cut off long whiskers and sharp point on the head with scissors and dab dry with paper towel.


In small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and sugar and set aside.


Heat oil (I used about 3/4 cup or so) in large skillet to about 350°F. Dredge the shrimp in the corn starch to get a light coating, shaking off excess.


Fry shrimp in oil until nicely pink/red and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Remove shrimp and drain.


Heat another large wok/pan with a bit of cooking oil, say a generous tablespoon. When oil is hot, add garlic and then onions, and scallions, quickly stir-frying a minute or so.


Add the shrimp and sprinkle in about 1/2-1 tsp seasoning mixture, instead of the entire quantity like I did. Continue to stir fry and make sure seasoning coats well, for another minute.



 
Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately. Sprinkle on additional seasoning according to taste -- I failed to give myself this opportunity as I used all of the salt and pepper earlier.


While the shrimp were done just right -- nice and crispy, they were quite salty.  I mean, so salty they reminded me of that one salty batch of potatoes I'd made once. So salty, I couldn't eat all of them, though I tried like hell. I can't imagine what these would've been like had I not had rice to buffer the salts.

 
And I realized once I'd completed the dish that I'd neglected the jalapeno entirely!  Egads!

 
Next time, and believe me, there will be a next time, I'll take heed to the red notices above and will include the jalapeno. I am kicking myself for making these mistakes.

 
Cost:
  • shrimp: $1.20
  • onion: $0.30
  • scallions: $0.33/bunch
TOTAL: $1.83, though I'd have to SWAG oil etc, bringing it to $2. While the quantity is supposed to serve more than one, I could've certainly put away all of the shrimp in once sitting had I followed the directions.


0 comments: