Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Alabama Backwoods BBQ Chicken, Take 4



I keep doing takes of this chicken and now realize it's an excuse to eat a lot of this chicken because no matter how non-crispy the skin turns out the flesh is unbelievably delicious every single time. The recipe is amazing.

This take was prepared based on what I thought would be a good idea after I did Take 2. I realize now that I also skipped rubbing the legs with oil before seasoning and marinating.

4 chicken leg quarters (aka Marylands)
Seasoning rub
Sauce

Seasoning Rub
3 tbsp light brown sugar – packed
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp Kosher or sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme

Sauce
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp prepared horseradish (purchased)
1 1/2 tsp Creole or whole grain Grey Poupon Country Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Kosher or sea salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

The legs remaining from the chickens used for Tequila-Lime Chicken were rubbed with the seasoning rub before marinating in the refrigerator about 9 or 10 hours.


After marinating, the chicken legs were grilled on both sides until browned on a grill pan, placed on the rack, and then drizzled with the sauce.


The chicken was baked in a 400°F oven for 35 minutes.


The chicken legs were loosely covered for about 10 minutes before serving with Creamy New Potato Salad with Smoked Paprika.


I was a lot closer to the crispy chicken I've been trying to achieve when I did Take 3, however, this take spurs me on to try another take. As I said above, the chicken meat turns out to be completely delicious even if the skin is not quite what I'm hoping for.

In case the widget is wonky, here are links to my previous takes (which have links to print) and the original recipe:


0 comments: