Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer-in-a-Bowl Pasta



This pasta dish was in the summer 2011 edition of Cooking Club magazine. Normally, I avoid preparing things that call for heavy whipping cream -- not that I don't care for it, but it seems weird to me to use it in a pasta dish. I know, I'm wacko. As the recipe calls for fresh corn, one of my favorites of summer, and fresh basil, I had to try it once.
click to print

8 oz. farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, halved, sliced (3 cups)
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 c fresh corn kernels (3 to 4 ears)
1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced (1 cup)
1 large tomato, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
3/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/3 c slightly packed chopped fresh basil
1/4 c chopped fresh chives

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.


Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook and stir onion 1 minute.

Hint: break up the half-rings before putting them in the skillet -- you might save yourself the risk of overcooking them.

Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.


Add corn, bell pepper and zucchini; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until barely crisp-tender.

Stir in tomato, 1/4 cup of the cheese, cream, reserved pasta water, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.


Bring to a boil; boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.


Add pasta to skillet. Toss with basil, chives and remaining cheese.

The last of the cheese was supposed to be used as garnishing cheese, but I'm into ease.


This recipe goes pretty swiftly, so be sure to practice mise en place. If you time it right, the pasta can be readied while the corn mixture is cooking along, which will save some time.

Tastewise, I liked it. It was creamy but not excessively so. If you're not a big cheese fan, I'm sure you could cut the quantity in half and not feel it was lacking in texture, though you might want to boil off more of the liquid and make it a little thicker.

Personally I think I prefer my pastas with red sauces rather than creamy ones. That or I was thinking Summer-in-a-Bowl Pasta was going to taste like Spicy Southwestern Corn with pasta. Probably the latter. Wow, I should totally make that corn dish with pasta! Cha-ching!

Cost:
  • farfalle: $0.75
  • red onion: $0.44
  • garlic: $0.45
  • corn: $1.56
  • bell pepper: $1.61
  • zucchini: $0.41
  • tomato: $0.61
  • Parmesan cheese: $3
  • heavy whipping cream: $0.57
  • fresh basil: $1.65
  • fresh chives: $0.32

Total: $11.37 or $2.84 for each of four filling 2-cup servings.


0 comments: