Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Barefoot Zinfandel



I needed a CA Zinfandel for a recipe. I walked around, browsing at all of the wines at Ralph's. Just before I became irate by how there seemed to be no method to the wine madness, I asked a lady browsing in the same aisle how I'd find a CA Zinfandel and which of the choices would be best for my needs.

This lady informed me that each store lays out their wines differently, but fortunately for me, she was well-versed in the Ralph's layout. The aisle we were standing in happened to have Zinfandel's and they were on the "weak" or "mellow" end of the aisle where more hard-core wines and champagnes were on the other end.

When Kind Lady showed me the CA Zinfandel section (which was narrow in width but covered three shelves in height), I asked her how to select the one most suited for my recipe. Kind Lady told me that it would be a matter of personal taste, but one thing that guided her in wine selection was to choose whichever bottle had the greatest percent off at the time she was buying.

That made perfect sense to me. As I had fingers wrapped around a $10 (on sale) bottle of wine, I happened to glance at the Barefoot Zinfandel. It had a little sticker that caused me to let go of my original bottle in order to scoop the stickered one up instead.

That little sticker said, "Ultra Value" by Food and Wine.

Done deal. I grabbed a bottle and beat feet to the door.


Available at Ralph's for $5.99/750 mL bottle.


0 comments: