Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cabbage-Apple Saute with Sausage



This is a little bit out of the arena of things I'd normally choose to eat, but remembering how I felt about the Sausage-Apple Sweet Potato Topper dish, thought I'd roll with it.

Cabbage-Apple Saute with Sausage
adapted from Cooking Club of America

1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 (3-oz.) chicken-apple or other mildly sweet sausage links
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 large Granny Smith apple, sliced into 8 wedges
2 tbsp Dijon mustard

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.


Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning several times.


Place sausages on plate.


Add onion and garlic to same skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until soft.


Stir in cabbage and apple; cook 8 minutes or until nearly tender, adding water if mixture becomes dry.


Stir in mustard. Return sausage to skillet; cook, stirring gently, 5 minutes or until heated through.


The dish was ok, but I don't think it was so great for me that I'd do it again. If I do it again, I would cut the cabbage and apple cooking time by a minute or two as they were a bit too soft. As for making four servings like the original recipe suggested, even with having used an entire small head of cabbage resulted in only 3 sausage-heavy servings.

Cost:

  • sausage: $5.99
  • onion: $0.29
  • garlic: $0.07
  • cabbage: $0.85/head
  • apple: $0.54

Total: $7.74 or $2.58 for each of three servings.

click for the printable


0 comments: