Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Oven-Roasted Veggies



Once upon a time, I made the original Better Homes and Gardens recipe for the first time and immediately fell in love with it. Over time, I made slight adaptations to make it more suitable for my tastes. And somehow, in my quest to try all things new, my adaptation fell out of rotation.

Attempting to reproduce my adaptation, I did this:

Oven-Roasted Veggies
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 14th ed., copyright 1996

3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium turnip, peeled, quartered, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
3 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into wedges
1/2 c olive oil
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp lemon juice
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips

In a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine potatoes, turnip, carrots, and onion.

Combine oil, herb, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.


Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat.

Bake, covered, in a 325°F oven 45 minutes, stirring once.

Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Add bell pepper strips to baking pan; toss.

Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and brown on edges, stirring occasionally.



It tasted ok, but wow, olive oil overkill. Looking back on it, I think I used to use 1/4 c olive oil. A second take is in the future, for sure.

Cost:
  • potatoes: $1.45
  • turnips: $0.33
  • carrots: $0.30
  • onion: $0.40
  • olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, seasonings: $1, SWAG
  • red bell pepper: $1.17
Total: $4.65 or $0.58 for each of 8 servings.

Click for the printable


0 comments: